Monday, December 8, 2008

So, it's been a while since I've updated this thing. This past summer went well, though I didn't get much accomplished in the way of piano. I stopped taking lessons from my instructor because I couldn't afford it. I also transferred to a different university, and got my CNA license. All is good. However, I have been practicing the piano solidly on my own for about a month now. I'll tell you what I'm currently working on: 

Invention No. 1 -- Bach
Invention No. 8 -- Bach
Sonatina Op. 36 No. 1 (All movements simultaneously) -- Clementi

And when I feel up to it, I take a look at Chopin's Cantabile, but since I don't practice it enough, I don't list that as something I'm currently learning. 

The first invention is going very well. I was frustrated a few days ago with classes and was stressing out about finals, so to take my mind off of it, I went to the practice room near the cafeteria to practice. I didn't take my phone with me, and I ended up practicing for nearly four hours. And what's more is that it was a good practice session. I completely learned how to play measures 13 and 14 in the first invention fluently and at the proper tempo, and found problem spots that I've been having throughout the piece. I've been zoning in on them to get them done. I have the piece memorized with both hands separate, and can play it to the finish but not at the tempo and not without making mistakes. It's coming along well though.

The 8th invention is also going well. I've only been mainly looking at the first page, and I'm beginning to put both hands of the first page together. That's really the only news I have with that. I also have the first page memorized with both hands separate and am continuing on putting both hands together.

The Sonatina is going okay. I'm just learning it and it will eventually be memorized, at least the first and second movements anyway. I can play the first movement up to tempo without making many mistakes, save one or two. I can almost play the second movement up to tempo but I would prefer to take it at a slower pace until I have completely memorized it. I've only mainly been looking at the third movement with the right hand so far, and it comes easily to me. I'll continue to look at the left hand and eventually put them together. 

I haven't really taken the time to learn the scales that are relevant to the pieces I'm learning. I already know how to play the C major and F major scales fluently for four octaves, I can play the cadences and inversions, so I guess the only work that's left to do is on arpeggios, but that doesn't sound too exciting. I'm going to figure out how to best approach the scales and what exactly I should be getting out of them. I'll be researching on the forums. I think that's all. I'll keep you posted. :)

No comments: